Raila Odinga, Presidential candidate for the Orange Democratic Movement in Kenya is visiting the United States between Sept. 8-11, 2007.
Originally uploaded by Pan-African News Wire File Photos
Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) presidential hopeful Raila Odinga saluted supporters after he was nominated to run for the presidency on the party's ticket, during the party's national delegation conference at the Moi International Sports complex in Nairobi
Denver, CO (BlackNews.com) - A delegation of Kenyan leaders- including Raila Odinga who will likely become the African nation's next president in the December 2007 elections – will arrive in Denver on Saturday, Sept. 8. A media conference is scheduled for 5 p.m. at the Clarion Hotel, 7770 S. Peoria St., Englewood, CO 80112. Media representatives can call Joseph Koyugi for details: 720-221-3259.
Presidential hopeful and engineer Raila Odinga will be accompanied by his daughter Rosemary Odinga who is a marketing consultant and Parliamentary Member Kipkalya Kones, as well as Dr. Jacqueline Adhiambo Oduol, a parliamentary candidate who visited Denver in June.
The Kenyan dignitaries will attend events from Sept. 8 to 11 at Centennial Airport, the historic Five Points neighborhood, University of Denver, and Metropolitan State College, where they will meet with the business community, educators, local and state officials, and a wide range of organizations from scientific to cultural. The aim of the visit is to share visions for Kenya's future, as well as developing economic and social partnerships.
Two Denver educational and leadership organizations are hosting the Kenyan delegation while in Colorado. The Friends of Leadership, Development & Governance (FLDG) aims to increase development opportunities in Kenya through contributing to quality leadership and good governance. The African-American Leadership Institute is a non-profit organization that focuses on leadership Programs for adults and youth.
For information on events or interviews with the Kenyan officials, call FLDG founder Joseph Koyugi at 720-221-3259 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also go online to http://www.fldg.org
About Raila Odinga:
• frontrunner for the Kenyan presidency;
• a leader of the Orange Democratic Movement;
• a member of parliament since 1992;
• the son of the first Kenyan vice president;
• a civil rights activist and former political prisoner for about 10 years;
• graduated from Otto von Guericke Technical University, Magdeburg, Germany, in 1970, with a Master of Science degree in mechanical engineering;
• born in Nyanza Province on Jan. 7, 1945;
• married to Ida Anyango Oyoo, with four children: Fidel, born 1973; Rosemary, born 1977; Raila Jr., born 1979; Winnie, born 1990.