Sunday, December 30, 2012

Bomb at Egyptian Coptic Church in Libya Kills Two

Bomb at Egyptian-Run Church in Libya Kills 2

By By ESAM MOHAMED Associated Press
TRIPOLI, Libya December 30, 2012 (AP)

Egypt's Foreign Ministry says an explosion at an Egyptian Coptic church in Libya's third largest city, Misrata, has killed two people and wounded two others.

The statement by the Foreign Ministry says Sunday's explosion killed two Egyptian citizens working at the church in preparation for traditional New Year's Eve mass.

Egypt's ambassador visited the church in the coastal city after the attack and urged Libyan security forces to ensure the property is guarded.

A Libyan security official says the deadly attack was caused by a bomb made from an explosive material that typically requires a detonator. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the incident is still under investigation.

Tens of thousands of Egyptian workers have returned to work in Libya following last year's civil war, despite security dangers.

Two Egyptians killed in Libya church blast: Officials

Published December 30th, 2012 - 20:35 GMT via

Two dead in blast in Misrata.

At least two Egyptians have lost their lives and two others wounded in a bomb attack on an Egyptian Orthodox Church near the Western Libyan city of Misrata, officials say.

“Two Egyptians were killed and two were wounded," said an unnamed diplomat at the Egyptian Embassy in Libyan capital, Tripoli, on Sunday.

Those wounded were rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment, he added.

The attack took place on Saturday in Dafniya, a Mediterranean village situated some 30 kilometers (18.5 miles) west of Misrata, after two unknown assailants threw a homemade explosive at the church.

Following the attack, Egyptian ministry’s spokesman Amr Rushdi issued a statement saying that “The Egyptian Embassy in Tripoli is holding contacts with the Libyan interior and foreign ministries to take urgent measures to secure buildings belonging to the Egyptian Church in Libya.”

Reports say that Libyan officials have launched an investigation into the deadly incident.

No comments: