Sunday, April 21, 2013

Nigerian Comedian Says 'I Dress the Way I Want to be Addressed'

‘I dress the way I want to be addressed’

SUNDAY, 14 APRIL 2013 00:00
DANIEL ANAZIA LIFE MAGAZINE - FASHION
Nigerian Guardian

CHRISTENED Amanda Uzonitsha, but popularly called Mandy, emerged on the scene in 1992, as a girl on the street, playing pranks on people in the popular Candid Camera segment of Charly Boy Show. Regarded as the ‘Queen of Nigeria Comedy’, the Asaba-native studied Political Science at the Nnamdi Azikwe University, Awka. The comedienne shares her firsts with DANIEL ANAZIA.

What was growing up like?

It was fantastic. I grew up as a ‘child’ and not as a ‘pikin’. My father loved us, but he never spared the rod when it was necessary. My parents wanted me to study law like my siblings, but I opted for political science. Though they allowed me, there was a promise that I would study law later. And when I started working for Charly Boy, they felt I had graduated, so, I could do what I wanted.

Your major break

Though I have been in arts and entertainment since 1992, as a comedian, it was Girls Night Out organised by Hip-Hop World Magazine in 1999 that gave me the break. Prior to the show, I was working for Charly Boy on his show as the girl on the street in the popular Candid Camera segment. After my NYSC, I came back to work for him as Head of Production. I didn’t just go out of my way to become the first Nigerian female comedian, neither did I choose comedy, rather it chose me. I have a degree in Political Science and could have struggled to become my Local Government Chairman. Comedy wanted me and I had to start doing it.

Which was your first call — music, comedy or acting?

I was known as Mandy the comedienne, Mandy the actress and Mandy the singer. At a time, I felt I was doing a lot of things at the same time, so, I decided to stick to one — comedy.

Your definition of fashion

It’s something that you wear and you are comfortable in it. I don’t go over board.

First thing you consider when dressing up

I dress the way I want to be addressed. As a married woman, if you wear a tight fitting clothes with your entire compartment showing and you walk down the street, men will definitely call you as they call their dogs.

Before now, I could dress in clothes that show off the cleavages, but at a point, I asked myself ‘how do I want my daughter to see me… a whore?’ No, I want her to see me first as a mother, then a decent person, I answered.

No comments: