Monday, June 03, 2013

Africa's Golden Jubilee

Africa’s Golden Jubilee

Saturday, 01 June 2013 00:00
Zimbabwe Herald

Cornway College Junior School celebrated Africa Day in an African style showcasing traditional regalia as well as having a taste of traditional dishes

Swagga T

“I am an African, not because I was born in Africa, but because Africa is born in me,” those were the words of the late great leader and visionary Kwame Nkrumah.

What comes to your mind when you hear about Africa Day which is celebrated on May 25?

Well, Africa Day represents the day when African countries became united. It is the annual commemoration of the founding of the Organisation of African Unity now known as the African Union on May 25, 1963.

Cornway College Junior hosted its inaugural Africa Day commemorations last weekend, with pupils clad in African attire.

The event, that ran under the theme “My Culture, My Pride”, saw the children being treated to traditional food prepared by the teachers.

The food included madora, sadza re- zviyo, mupunga, mowa, maheu, mufushwa, munyemba and mhunga among other varieties.

Yours truly managed to taste some of the dishes and believe me, Zimbabwe is rich when it comes to food.

The well choreographed event also saw children participating in music and dance, poetry and various competitions.
Again all discussions were conducted in Shona, though selected pupils who represented each country in Sadc had to do a presentation about that country. All 54 countries were represented including their attires.

Priscilla Zengeya, headmistress of the school expressed her joy at the success of the event.

“I am very happy that it came out the way we wanted.

“This is our inaugural event towards the commemorations and we told pupils to plan what they wanted to do on the show. I am happy with the displays today,” she said.

The headmistress said Westernisation had brought more harm than good to our culture.

“The type of food presented and the setting itself was a surprise to the children. What they only know are the movies and pizza, but they enjoyed the traditional meals,” she said.

She said next year plans were afoot for a bigger and better event.

“We plan to build a village at the school with all the traditional Zimbabwean culture aspects. Some children were surprised about eating madora describing them as black worms, but I urge parents to introduce traditional food at home as charity begins at home,” she explained.

Ms Zengeya said other schools should follow suit as this will help in their curriculum.
Mbongeni Maseko (12) said Africa Day was a day to show pride in African culture.

“The day is about celebrating Africa’s heritage. I am not sure about the OAU. The day has helped me to understand that African countries are united. I also learnt that our tradition is not inferior to other cultures,” said Mbongeni.

Takudzwa Shange (11), who recited a poem on Uganda, wowed audiences.

“I am Uganda. I am safe and friendly though landlocked country in East Africa. I am 236 040 square kilometres.

“My capital city is Kampala and I have a population of over 30 million with English, Luganda, Swahili and Arabic as my major languages.

“If you want to visit me make sure you have shillings because that is my currency. I got my independence in 1962 and my president is Yoweri Kaguta Museveni,” noted Takudzwa.

Indeed, Takudzwa showed a great deal of knowledge about Uganda. Some parents were on the judges panel. Interestingly, some pupils enjoyed drinking water on their knees as well as “maheu” using mukombe.

No comments: