Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Former Nigerian President Obasanjo Clears Buhari of PTF Allegations
From left: All Progressives Congress (APC) National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun; APC Vice Presidential Candidate, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo; Presidential Candidate, retired Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari; former President Olusegun Obasanjo; and other party members during their visit to Obasanjo’s residence in Abeokuta yesterday.

Published on Wednesday, 14 January 2015 05:02
Nigerian Daily Trust
Written by Kehinde Akinyemi, Abeokuta

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday cleared the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Gen. Muhammadu Buhari of any wrong doing when he was Chairman of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF).

The fund was set up by late head of state Gen Sani Abacha from a certain percentage of Nigeria’s oil earnings for development programmes.

When Abacha died accusations were made, especially against some of the consultants employed by Buhari.

Obasanjo himself later set up committee to investigate the activities of the fund, but not much was heard about its outcome.

The issue surfaces as campaigns hot up in the run up to the February 14 general elections.

However, Obasanjo said yesterday while receiving Buhari in Abeokuta, Ogun state that he believed Buhari’s conduct in the fund was above board.

Obasanjo said: “I haven’t said this publicly, I would say it publicly now.  When we looked into it [PTF], there was really nothing amiss except that that organisation went from road building to mosquito net buying and all sorts of things. And what the investigation discovered is a bit of inconsistency in prices and all that. In one area, mosquito net might have been given for N50; in another, N45. And then... that this is fishy. We should look into it.

“And I called my brother and colleague [Buhari]; I said this and he said look, we are managing billions of Naira and I tried to make sure I see everything. But I will not say that what they have said about this is correct or not correct. But I can assure you I tried to see everything. I said okay.

Muhammadu, between me, you and God, was there any personal benefit for you? And you said no. I said that is the end of the matter.

“Although there was that investigation, its report was not of any material importance. I thought that I should say it today that I have this opportunity because I hope people will face issues rather than trivialities. On occasion like this, issues are very important.”

Obasanjo said he appreciated Buhari’s mention of three key areas – economy, security and  corruption, but added, it would be significant to add infrastructure. It’s very important. You may take it as part of economy but I will take infrastructure as special and give it special attention.

“Having said that, I will also say that while a party must be microcosm of a nation - and in a nation you will have near saints, devils, rapists, armed robbers and a good party must have all this in them.

But what matters is that when that party has to go into government, it must look for men and women of character. And we have them in all parties, we have them throughout the nooks and crannies of this country. Again I wish you well as you go around. I thank you for this visit. I cannot end without reminding you, even though I saw some old faces, but some of us will remain firm at least at the ward level where I am very active in my party.”

‘We want your support’

Buhari who spoke earlier solicited the support of Obasanjo for his presidential ambition, recalling that he had served under him for three and a quarter years before he was sent on course.

“When I set about the programme of going round the states, it was decided that we should be taking two states per day. I think we have so far succeeded in doing the South-South and the South East.

Whether we can maintain that success I don’t know. But somebody has the temerity to ask me that when I come, shall I call on Chief Olusegun Obasanjo? I don’t think I answered the man, I just looked the other side. I think that I should not come here in whatever capacity without calling to pay my respect.

“Sir, it’s a fact that you know more than all we know about the problem that we are in. But what we’ll do is try to convince you to believe us that we are going to do better. We expect your understanding and support, although you insist on remaining in PDP. I have reached a certain degree of frustration in my attempt to try to shift you a bit but you have refused.

He said what the APC intends to do is contained in the party’s manifesto. “We are not going to be inflexible the way some people accused us of doing it. We are going to be dynamic as we go along and that’s why I said we are here to seek for your understanding, for your support, in spite of the political card you hold.”

The APC presidential candidate also visited all the four paramount rulers in the state before attending a campaign rally at the M.K.O Abiola stadium.

Obasanjo rebuffs Jonathan

Meanwhile, Daily Trust learnt yesterday that Monday night’s meeting between Obasanjo and President Goodluck Jonathan was not quite what the President had hoped for.

President Jonathan who had been seeking audience with Obasanjo for months finally got his chance to meet him in Abeokuta. Jonathan was in Ogun in continuation of his nationwide campaign for re-election.

However, reliable sources confided in Daily Trust that Obasanjo did not mince words in response to request by the President for his support.

After Jonathan made his speech, Obasanjo told him he won’t support his re-election bid. “Go and negotiate your exit,” one of the sources quoted the former president as having told Jonathan.

No comments: