Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Bookies Bar Co-owner Sorry for Facebook Rant About Tulsa
Daniel Bethencourt, Detroit Free Press 11:10 p.m. EDT
Detroit Free Press
September 20, 2016

A co-founder of Bookies Bar & Grille who reportedly posted a Facebook rant about the Tulsa police shooting death has issued a statement apologizing for his comments — but also said they were part of a conversation he was engaged in with his African American friend, and said that some of his black friends agree with some of his statements.

“I understand that my candid comments regarding policing has [sic] had a negative effect,” Mark Jerant told the Free Press in an emailed statement, before adding: “I am embarrassed and regret the tone and tenor of my comments, as written words often lose inflection.”

Jerant faced intense criticism and calls to boycott Bookies Bar and Grille after he posted a rant on Facebook Monday night, which responded to a video of Terence Crutcher being shot and killed by a white police officer last week, according to a news report from BLAC Detroit. The officer was responding to a report of a stalled vehicle. Police found no weapon on Crutcher or in his SUV.

“Get ready for the liberal media frenzy of BS,” Jerant reportedly wrote. (On Facebook he seems to have gone by the name "Marko Jerant.") According to BLAC Detroit, Jerant also wrote: “Simple story never changes. Listen to police who have guns pointed at you and don’t get shot. It isn’t hard.”

And he wrote that news stories are “clicks and ads it's always about money not the truth. Watch and see.”

Jerant’s Facebook page has since been taken down.

In the statement late Tuesday, Jerant said his comments were responding to a “spirited discussion” he was having with an “African American friend from high school of more than 18 years.” He added that he was “expressing thoughts that reflect, in some measure, the sentiments that have been shared by my African American friends, that unfortunately the best way when confronted by police offices is to follow their every command to avoid a fatal confrontation.”

He also said: “My comments in no way were intended to be disrespectful to Terence Crutcher, his actions or events that let to him being shot by Tulsa Police. … This is an all too often occurrence and it needs to stop.”

Read the full statement below:

Mark Jerant – Statement and Apology

“I want to express my deepest condolences and apology to the family of Terence Crutcher and the Tulsa, Oklahoma community for my comments on Facebook that may be viewed as hurtful or insensitive regarding the real tension that existed between African Americans and police officers across our country. I understand that my candid comments regarding policing has had a negative effect."

My comments were in response to a spirited discussion I was having with my African American friend from high school of more than 18 years. He and I have had open and frank conversations regarding current affairs, politics, race, inequality and social justice. It’s common place for my friend and I to have candid exchanges on social media on issues and opinions that affect us both.

I am embarrassed and regret the tone and tenor of my comments, as written words often lose inflection. I was expressing thoughts that reflect, in some measure, the sentiments that have been shared by my African American friends, that unfortunately the best way when confronted by police offices is to follow their every command to avoid a fatal confrontation. It should not be the case that African Americans should fear for their safety when engaged by law enforcement. These are tragedies which need to end.

My comments in no way were intended to be disrespectful to Terence Crutcher, his actions or events that let to him being shot by Tulsa Police. I was expressing my concerns over once again seeing in the media another unarmed African American confronted by police officers that ended in death. This is an all too often occurrence and it needs to stop. I apologize for the insensitive manner in which my comments appeared on Facebook. My statements are my own and do not reflect my business, partnerships and staff at Bookies Bar & Grille.’’

Contact Daniel Bethencourt: dbethencourt@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @_dbethencourt.

No comments: