Thursday, August 16, 2018

High Security Outside Aretha Franklin's Home, Neighbors Shocked
Phoebe Wall Howard
Detroit Free Press
2:02 p.m. ET Aug. 16, 2018

Broadcast news crews have gathered at the entrance of Riverfront Towers condominiums on the Detroit River downtown upon confirmation of Aretha Franklin’s death this morning.

The high-security property has a full-time guard 24 hours who requires verbal approval from tenants before allowing guest access. It is home to professional athletes, executives and other celebrities. It's also Franklin's most recent home. Residents are still talking about the visit from Stevie Wonder earlier this week.

Riverfront is where Rosa Parks lived when philanthropist Mike Ilitch stepped in to provide the civil rights icon housing in her final years..

“I’m at a loss for words,” said Vera Cunningham, 52, who lives at Riverfront and is married to Pastor Michael Cunningham of the historic East Lake Baptist Church on E. Jefferson Avenue.

“Aretha Franklin started off in the church. That’s how we’ve known her. I’ve been listening to her music for over 30 years. A lot of us have sung her music in our churches. I truly believe she is the Queen of Soul. I mean it when I say, a lot of times we go through a lot in our lives. We accept so much that we shouldn’t. Her song ‘Respect’ has taught me how to live my life and demand respect from people.”

Clarissia Bourdeau, 21, a recent Georgia State University graduate visiting her Aunt Vera at Riverfront, said, “It’s heartbreaking that Aretha Franklin has passed away. As a little girl, when I was driving with my mom in Atlanta, we would start belting out songs sung by Aretha Franklin, especially ‘Respect.’ We’ve lost one of the most powerful and impactful singers of our time.”

As the aunt and her niece spoke about Franklin, and her role in the lives of "little black girls," Cunningham began to weep.

"I know that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. I am praying for her family and all of Detroit," Cunningham said. "Her roots in the church run deep. Her roots in Detroit run deep. I look up to the sky and I say, "Aretha Franklin, we love you and we're going to miss you. God bless you."

Contact Phoebe Wall Howard: 313-222-6512 or phoward@freepress.com. Follow her on Twitter @phoebesaid

No comments: