Syrian security forces inspect a truck damaged in an explosion outside a mosque on April 27, 2012. The attacks are a continuation of bombings carried out by opposition forces against the government of President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
Iran deputy foreign minister slams terrorist activities in Syria
Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:10AM GMT
A top Iranian official has slammed the terrorist activities of the armed groups in Syria, saying the countries that provide weaponry to the rebels are responsible for the deaths of innocent Syrians.
On Friday, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian condemned the terrorist attacks as well as foreign interference in Syria.
Earlier in the day, at least 11 people were killed and dozens were injured in a bomb explosion in the central neighborhood of al-Midan in the Syrian capital, Damascus.
This comes despite a ceasefire that took effect on April 12 and was part of a peace plan proposed by UN-Arab League envoy to Syria Kofi Annan.
Amir-Abdollahian further said that certain entities take it upon themselves to act beyond the measures of the United Nations and Annan’s peace plan, and try to impose their will through hasty moves.
Amir-Abdollahian said Syria is “well past the security crisis” but some countries pursue certain goals by sending weapons to this country and encouraging terrorist activities.
“President Bashar al-Assad’s reform plans are the most suitable solution for Syria,” he added.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since mid-March 2011. Although calm has returned to most parts of the country with a ceasefire, there have been reports of sporadic clashes in some areas, with Damascus accusing the armed groups of violating the truce by continuing the attacks on government forces.