US-backed forces of the Somalia Transitional Federal Government and AMISOM enter the town of Wanlaweyn. The Horn of Africa nation is being occupied by imperialism utilizing proxy forces from the region., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
12 killed in insurgent violence in Beledweyne, central Somalia
16 Oct 16, 2012 - 10:46:43 AM
BELEDWEYNE, Somalia Oct 16 2012 (Garowe Online) – At least 12 people were killed on Tuesday after Al Shabaab agents ambushed Somali government forces in the outskirts of the Beledweyne airport located in Hiiraan region, Garowe Online reports.
According to officials, the battle was very intense lasting for many hours with both sides losing military vehicles in the clashes.
The government officials said that the surprise attack occurred in Walaweyn district in the neighboring region of Lower Shabelle and crossed over to Hiraan region, adding that casualties are still unconfirmed.
Col. Abukar Yarow who spoke to media on Tuesday said that Somali government forces in Hiraan region repelled the attack by Al Shabaab.
“I cannot state the amount of casualties right now. We were successful in deterring the attack by the terror agents,” said Col. Yarow.
Al Shabaab announced that they had destroyed many vehicles in their ambush on Tuesday but did not state the amount of casualties.
According to witnesses, there were both civilian and non-civilian bodies in the carnage.
The battle comes a week after Somali and AMISOM forces captured the district of Walaweyn, which prior to last week was an Al Shabaab stronghold.
This is the biggest battle as of yet to occur in Hiraan and the Lower Shabelle region since the capture of the two regions by Ethiopian and AMISOM forces in December 2011. Since withdrawing from Mogadishu last year, Al Shabaab militants have vowed to continue fighting Somali government forces and allied AMISOM and Ethiopian forces.
Both the newly elected Somali Federal Government and African Union forces have not commented about Tuesday’s battle.
The Shabelle River transverses through Beledweyne and the trading town near the Somali-Ethiopian border is recovering from flooding due to heavy seasonal rains that have destroyed homes and farms. The heavy rains continued on Tuesday.
Somalia: Al Shabaab clash with government forces in two Mogadishu districts
15 Oct 15, 2012 - 12:15:37 PM
MOGADISHU, Somalia Oct 15 2012 (Garowe Online) – At least five people were killed after clashes sparked in the city of Mogadishu between Al Shabaab and government forces, Garowe Online reports.
The clashes sparked in two districts in Mogadishu Yaqshid and Dharkenley on Sunday night.
Somali government forces confirmed that the clashes did occur in Mogadishu adding that the government forces repelled the Al Shabaab insurgents Sunday night.
According to government officials, the Al Shabaab agents targeted police and defense forces in Dharkenley district that resulted in 5 Al Shabaab agents being killed.
Dharkenley district is located in southern Mogadishu near the former US Embassy.
According to residents, the clashes were very heavy where both sides used heavy artillery in residential areas.
“The fighting was very heavy and you could hear very heavy artillery being used. I heard from my neighbors this morning one civilian was killed,” said Mohamed Ahmed a resident of Dharkenley district.
Residents in Yaqshid reported heavy fighting in the district located in northeast Mogadishu.
According to local sources, at least two Al Shabaab agents were killed in the clashes.
Mogadishu since Al Shabaab’s alleged withdrawal in 2011 resulted in resurgence in business and a regained hope for thousands of displaced Mogadishu residents.
The city has seen a huge improvement over the past year due to improved security after government and AMISOM forces stepped up operations throughout 2011 and 2012.
Two clashes in two different districts in Mogadishu, displays that Al Shabaab has reverted to a subversive battle in Mogadishu.
Last week, Mogadishu authorities arrested 60 people and confiscated around 30 explosives which according to authorities that have not been seen in Somalia before.
Oct 16, 2012 - 10:44:34 AM
Somalia: Govt commander in Jubaland rejects reports of 'looting by soldiers'
16 Oct 16, 2012 - 10:43:06 PM
KISMAYO, Somalia Oct 16 2012 (Garowe Online) – The commander of Somali government forces in Jubaland regions of southern Somalia has rejected media reports of soldiers engaged in looting, Garowe Online reports.
General Ismail Sahardid, commander of Somali National Forces in Jubaland regions, told the BBC Somali Service during a Tuesday interview that acts of terror and insecurity would not be tolerated in Kismayo, the commercial capital of Jubaland regions.
Speaking about a recent killing in Kismayo, Gen. Sahardid said that the authorities are investigating the killing.
Unconfirmed reports say that a soldier of the allied Somali and AMISOM mistakenly killed a woman in Kismayo.
Gen. Sahardid stated that the forces would be conducting operations in the port city on Tuesday.
“We will never tolerate the security of Kismayo to be jeopardized by terrorist grops or other criminal elements,” said Gen. Sahardid.
He also rejected recent media reports of looting by soldiers in Kismayo, saying: “Those reports are false and intended to misleading public opinion on the conduct of Somali government forces in Jubaland regions.”
Continuing, Gen. Sahardid said: “We are well aware of our forces’ actions and these soldiers have been fighting together against Al Shabaab in rural areas and received three years of military training. Also military court accompanies us and any soldier who violates the law is reprimanded by the military court.”
Last month, AMISOM forces from Kenyan army accompanying Ras Kamboni militia led by Islamist leader Sheikh Ahmed Mohamed Islam (Ahmed Madobe) and Somali government forces led by Gen. Sahardiid seized control of Kismayo port city from Al Shabaab for the first time since Aug. 2008.
Kenyan armed forces raided Al Shabaab in Kismayo in a coordinated air and sea assault, followed subsequently by ground troops deployment into Kismayo.
Al Shabaab group has been blamed for a string of bombings and assassinations in Kismayo since Somali-AMISOM forces seized the port city last month.
On Tuesday, the allied forces captured 10 alleged members of Al Shabaab Authorities say investigations are ongoing.
Mogadishu-based media has led a media campaign to discredit the efforts of allied Somali-AMISOM forces in capturing Kismayo. Political analysts say Mogadishu politicians dominated by the Hawiye clan fear the emergence of the second Darod clan homeland in Jubaland, following the footsteps of Puntland in the north towards the completion of the Federal Republic of Somalia.
Newly elected Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, a member of Mogadishu’s Hawiye clan, has opposed the formation of Jubaland State in an open process supported by local communities of Jubaland regions and endorsed by international partners, including IGAD, the European Union and the Kenyan government.
Kenya: Dadaab security official killed by armed gunmen
15 Oct 15, 2012 - 3:44:13 PM
DADAAB, KENYA Oct 15 2012 (Garowe Online) – Gunmen killed an official of the Dadaab security committee in broad daylight on Monday, Garowe Online reports.
According to sources, four gunmen in the IFO camp part of the massive Dadaab refugee camp killed Mahad Said Duaseyne on Monday, a high-ranking member of the camps security committee.
The gunmen fled the scene after the shooting and authorities are currently investigating the killing.
According to witnesses, Mr. Duaseyne was shot repeatedly in the head and torso.
“Bosnia market in the central IFO was scene of the killing. The gunmen carrying pistols covered their faces and shot the victim several times in the head and torso,” said Ali Jama a Dadaab resident.
This is the second killing of a Dadaab security committee member in two months.
Unknown assailants who fled the scene after the shooting gunned down Quresho Hussien Ragge a prominent member of the security committee.
Dadaab prior 2011 had very little killings but the refugee camp has seen an increase in attacks during the past year. The Kenyan government has improved security but residents say more needs to be done.
The Dadaab refugee camp the largest refugee camp in the world is host to more than 500,000 people.