Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Buhari Won’t Help Arms Deal Suspects – Presidency
By Isiaka Wakili
Nigeria Daily Trust
Jan 12 2016 12:17AM

The Presidency said one of the quickest ways for President Muhammadu Buhari to lose confidence in anyone is for that person to be tarred with corruption charges.

Presidential spokesperson Femi Adesina in his Facebook post said Buhari’s anti-corruption war knows no friend or enemy.

Adesina was responding to the arrest of Buhari’s political associate and chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, Brigadier-General Lawal Ja’afaru Isa, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission which is probing the $2.1 arms purchase scam.

He said Buhari will not help anyone proven guilty of corruption charges, no matter how close such a person is to him.

“It means that in this corruption fight, no friend, no foe. One of the quickest ways for President Buhari to lose confidence in anybody is for that person to be tarred with the brush of corruption, and if proven to be true, you are on your own,” he said.

All those who said Buhari is selective don’t know him, he said. “We know how much he detests corruption, and if any case is proven against anybody, no matter how close the person is, no matter how high ranking, that person will answer for it,” he said.

On negotiation with Boko Haram to release the abducted Chibok schoolgirls, the presidential aide said Buhari’s administration was being careful in order not to be swindled like former President Jonathan’s government.

“We need to know a little bit of what happened behind the scenes, between the last government and some people masquerading as the leadership of Boko Haram who wanted to get the Chibok girls released. They actually turned it into a franchise. It became a commercial thing and they got money, possibly in millions of dollars, only for government to discover it had been swindled,” he said.

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/buhari-won-t-help-arms-deal-suspects-presidency/128476.html#E03DhAQEjxybz2Jb.99

Army to retire 2 generals over Ekiti poll

By Ronald Mutum
Jan 12 2016 12:17AM

Army to retire 2 generals over Ekiti poll

The Nigerian Army board of inquiry set up to investigate the alleged misconduct of some military personnel during the 2015 elections has recommended the compulsory retirement of two officers.

Two officers were recommended for compulsory retirement from the army, three were to lose their command and one was recommended for prosecution for collecting financial gratification, a statement yesterday by army spokesperson Col Sani Usman said.

Though the statement did not mention the names of the officer affected, General Aliyu Momoh was accused of accepting bribes to rig the last governorship election in Ekiti State in favour of   Governor Ayo Fayose.

 “Other recommendations include; placing 15 officers on watch list, nine officers are to be further investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over allegations leveled against them.

“Six officers are to face an audit committee and 62 officers (mostly of the rank of majors-below) are to be given letters of displeasure and to appear before their respective General Officers Commanding for counseling,” the statement said.

Usman said the board, however, commended one officer, Captain Sagir Koli, for non-partisanship and professional conduct while various disciplinary actions were recommended for over 90 other personnel.

He said 23 officers, over 100 soldiers and 62 civilians appeared before the board headed by Maj.-Gen. Adeniyi Oyebade, the General Officer Commanding 1 Division, Nigerian Army.

The inquiry was the result of petitions and allegations of unprofessional and partisan conducts of some officers and soldiers during the 2015 general elections as well as the governorship elections in Ekiti and Osun states in 2014.

The board submitted its report to the army chief in Abuja yesterday.

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/army-to-retire-2-generals-over-ekiti-poll/128478.html#IljVz8X5SBuBDlQ7.99

No comments: