Tuesday, November 24, 2009

DRC War Crimes Trial Begins at ICC in Hague

Tuesday, November 24, 2009
18:09 Mecca time, 15:09 GMT

DR Congo war crimes trial begins

Two Congolese men accused of directing an attack on a village, during which at least 200 people were killed, women raped and child soldiers allegedly recruited, have gone on trial in The Hague.

Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui appeared at the
International Criminal Court on Tuesday, facing charges of seven
counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The men, who pleaded not guilty, stand accused over an attack by their forces on the village of Bogoro in Democratic Republic of Congo's northeastern Ituri region in February 2003.

Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the court's chief prosecutor, said the pair were
"responsible for some of the most serious crimes of concern to the
international community".

"They used children as soldiers, they killed more than 200 civilians
in a few hours, they raped women; girls and the elderly, they looted
the entire village and they transformed women into sex slaves," he

"Some were shot dead in their sleep, some cut up by machetes to save bullets. Others were burned alive after their houses were set on fire by the attackers."

'Killing without distinction'

Katanga, 31, an ethnic Ngiti, is said to have commanded the Patriotic
Resistance Force (FRPI), while Ngudjolo, 39, a Lendu, is accused of
being the former leader of the National Integrationist Front (FNI).

The prosecution say more than 1,000 fighters from both groups,
including child soldiers, entered Bogoro in the early hours of
February 24, six years ago.

"The plan was to wipe out Bogoro. They killed without distinction,"
Moreno-Ocampo said.

Until the attack, Bogoro had been controlled by rival Thomas Lubanga's Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC), blocking FRPI and FNI fighters and camps from the road to the key city of Bunia.

Lubanga's own war crimes trial, the ICC's first, started in January.

Non-governmental bodies say that inter-ethnic and militia violence in
Ituri, largely over control of the area's gold mines, has claimed
60,000 lives since 1999.

Katanga was handed over to the ICC by the Democratic Republic of Congo government in October 2007, while Ngudjolo was arrested and transferred to The Hague in February 2008.

The two defence teams will give their opening statements later on Tuesday.

Source: Agencies

No comments: