Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Color Me Butterfly" Deals With Over Six Decades of Domestic Violence

A True Story About Four Generations of Mothers & Daughters Who Suffered and Survived 60+ Years of Domestic Violence and Abuse Wins the 2007 National 'Best Books' Award

Washington, DC (BlackNews.com) - Since its release in April 2007, not only has it received rave reviews, but on November 1, 2007, L.Y. Marlow's riveting, emotionally-charged and inspiring Color Me Butterfly became the winner of the 2007 National "Best Books" Award.

L.Y. Marlow is the third generation of her family to have been a victim and survivor of domestic violence: a violence that almost took her own life and the life of her unborn child. In her debut book, Color Me Butterfly, she tells the poignant and endearing story of four generations of mothers and daughters: the true story of her grandmother, her mother, herself, and her daughter; and the dispiriting impact intergenerational domestic violence and abuse has had on her family for over 60+ years.

I was just sixteen years old the first time my eye was blackened, my lip split, Marlow says. I knew my grandmother had gone through it. I knew my mother had gone through it. And now it was my time to go through it. I felt I had no choice. It was our 'normal'.

I wish I could say that my story ended that fateful day when the swelling started to rise. I wish I could say that I had never heard of or been exposed to domestic violence since I was sixteen. I wish I could say that this phenomenon did not exist in my family before I was a stitch in my family's fabric line, a seed in my mother's womb.

I wish I could say that 60+ years of domestic violence and abuse has not prevailed my family; but those wishes are just that -- wishes. I come from a legacy of women -- four generations to be exact -- where every kind of domestic abuse has been at the hem of my family's fabric.

Color Me Butterfly is sparking dialogue across the country. L.Y. Marlow has turned her family's pain into a crusade to raise awareness through the Saving Grace Campaign. "This campaign is about ensuring that everyone understands the seriousness of domestic violence and the impact it has on our communities," Marlow shares. "It's about spreading the word. It's about effecting 'Change.'"

L.Y. Marlow has spoken before many civic groups, churches, and colleges. She has been interviewed on various national and syndicated television and radio programs such as the Tom Joyner Morning Show, the Wendy Williams Experience and the Doug Banks Show.

She has also been featured in several magazines including Jet and Today's Black Woman. And in addition to the National "Best Books" Award, "Color Me Butterfly" has also won the following awards:

S'Indie Award for Literary Excellence, Quality and Originality -- Winner

The Indie National Excellence Book Award -- Finalist

Hollywood Book Festival Award -- Honorable Mention

Visit http://www.colormebutterfly.com to learn more about Color Me Butterfly, the author, and the Saving Grace campaign – a campaign that also provides unlimited resources and support to help victims of abuse.

CONTACT:
Rediik Harris
Publicist
919-785-9018
rediikharris@gmail.com

No comments: