A British fighter jet bombed the Libyan city of Sirte on May 8, 2011. The imperialists have been bombing the North African state since March 19., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
18 June 2011
Last updated at 21:55 ET
Two killed in 'Nato strike' in Libya
At least two people have died in an apparent Nato air strike that hit a house in the Libyan capital Tripoli.
The BBC's Jeremy Bowen was at the scene and he said rescue workers and residents were frantically trying to remove tonnes of rubble.
Our correspondent says a three-storey house was hit in the city's Suq Al Juma residential area.
He says it will raise more questions about Nato's mission in Libya, which began in March.
There has been no response yet from Nato, but it has acknowledged mistakenly hitting civilian areas in previous bombing raids.
Libyan officials say the attack happened at around midnight.
Our correspondent was taken to the scene where he saw two dead bodies - one being pulled from the rubble and another being placed in an ambulance.
He adds that local people said an entire family had been killed, though he was unable to immediately verify this claim.
What started as a peaceful uprising against Col Muammar Gaddafi's 41-year-rule four months ago has grown into a civil war.
The rebels now hold a third of the country in the east and pockets in the west, including Misrata, although Tripoli remains under government control.