Obama present at the return of 18 dead US soldiers from the Afghanistan occupation. Recent months have seen the intensification of the war in this central Asian nation being occupied by the US and NATO., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
Six US-led soldiers killed in Afghan war
Fri Apr 1, 2011 12:15PM
At least half a dozen US-led foreign troops, who are experiencing some of their deadliest days in Afghanistan, have been killed in the eastern province of Kunar.
NATO said on Friday that six soldiers were killed and three others were injured in military operations against the Taliban over the past two days, a Press TV correspondent reported.
The Western military alliance did not reveal the identity or the nationality of the deceased soldiers. However, it claimed that 25 militants were also killed.
The deaths bring to at least 110 the number of the US-led foreign forces killed in Afghanistan so far this year.
Meanwhile, a Taliban spokesman claims that four foreign troops have been killed in a roadside bomb blast in the town of Ghaziabad, in Kunar Province.
He said a NATO tank was also destroyed in the explosion.
The death toll of the US-led forces in 2010 stood at 711, making the year the deadliest for foreign forces in Afghanistan since the start of the war.
The rising number of foreign casualties has stoked opposition to the Afghan war in the NATO member states as well as in other countries that have contributed troops to the mission.
NATO has admitted that the power of militants in Afghanistan is on the rise despite the presence of 150,000 US-led forces in the war-hit country.