Summit meeting of BRIC held in South China, which includes the countries of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, have condemned the western imperialist war against the North African state of Libya., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
World leaders slam West war in Libya
Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:51AM
The BRICS leaders' meeting was held in Sanya, south China's Hainan province, April 14, 2011
Leaders of the BRICS group, the world's five major emerging powers, have criticized the West for waging a war on Libya, which has caused civilian casualties in the North African state.
In their summit meeting in southern China, the leaders of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa unanimously condemned the Libya bombings, AFP reported Thursday.
The group rejected the use of force in the Middle East and North Africa in a draft statement.
"We share the principle that the use of force should be avoided. We maintain that the independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity of each nation should be respected," the countries which represent more than 40 percent of the world's population said in the statement.
They also expressed concern that the NATO-led campaign on crisis-hit Libya is causing civilian casualties.
The leaders of BRICS nations said their joint presence on the UN Security Council in 2011 offered an opportunity to work together on Libya.
"We are of the view that all the parties should resolve their differences through peaceful means and dialogue in which the UN and regional organizations should as appropriate play their role," the statement read.
Chinese President Hu Jintao chaired the morning talks in the southern China resort city of Sanya with South Africa's Jacob Zuma, Brazil's Dilma Rouseff, Russia's Dmitry Medvedev, and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Western warplanes began their air assaults on Libya last month. Thousands of civilians have been killed in the NATO-led campaign.
South Africa was one of the countries that voted in favor of the UN Security Council resolution authorizing the airstrikes.
However, after visiting Tripoli on Sunday, South African President Jacob Zuma called on NATO to stop the attacks which have claimed the lives of hundreds of civilians in the past weeks.