US consulate in Benghazi, Libya which was destroyed by people angry over the role of the United States inside the country. Demonstrations were held at the same time in Egypt, Sudan and Tunisia., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
FBI agents keep out of Benghazi
In a statement from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, officials said they are revising their initial assessment of the attack in Benghazi to reflect new information indicating that it was a "deliberate and organized terrorist attack carried out by extremists." NBC's Pete Williams reports.
By The Associated Press
For security reasons, FBI agents are staying away from the Libyan city where a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed, two law enforcement officials said Friday.
The officials say the bureau is not going to put agents in harm's way and that the city of Benghazi must be made secure before the FBI sends investigators there.
The officials demanded anonymity because they are not authorized to speak on the record about an ongoing investigation.
FBI agents were sent to Libya last week to look into the Sept. 11 attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens, a State Department computer expert and two former U.S. Navy Seals.
Terrorist groups in Libya tried to coalesce in month leading to consulate attack, officials say
At FBI headquarters Friday, spokesman Paul Bresson said "we are moving forward with our investigation," but Bresson declined to comment on the specific location of the agents.
Post a Comment