Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dearborn Police Kill Woman Leaving Mall
Daniel Bethencourt and Niraj Warikoo
Detroit Free Press
6:40 p.m. EST January 27, 2016

A 31-year-old woman was shot and killed by Dearborn Police after a chase outside the Fairlane Town Center, in which police say the woman tried to run over an officer.

The woman had been pursued following a disturbance at the mall, in which she fled a mall security vehicle, almost striking it, said First Lt. Mike Shaw, a Michigan State Police spokesman.

Dearborn Police gave chase and attempted to pull her over on Hubbard Drive – at which point she tried to flee, Shaw said.

In response, an officer fired his weapon. The woman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

A Dearborn officer also received non-life-threatening injuries during the incident. It's not clear whether that officer was the same one who fired the shots.

Michigan State Police has taken over the investigation.

Hassan Kazan, 17, said he was coming out of the Fairlane Town Center when he saw multiple police cars chasing a black Chevrolet driven by a woman. Seconds later, he heard gunshots.

"It was heart stopping, crazy," he said.

At 4:14 p.m., Dearborn Fire received a call about a possible shooting and responded, said Dearborn Fire Capt. Steve Buckles.

"They're still at the scene," Buckles said of the responders.

Dearborn Mayor Jack O'Reilly Jr. said he didn't have details about the shooting, which appeared to happen around Hubbard Drive. Dearborn Police Ron Haddad did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Alex Hachem, 18, also saw a police car speed by, just before he heard at least 4 shots.

"It's a shock that this happened," he said.

The block of Hubbard Drive near Southfield Road was taped off while the suspects black Chevrolet could still be seen wedged between two police cars, whose lights were flashing.  A part of Hubbard Drive has been shut down.

According to witnesses, a woman was chased before gunshots were fired.

No comments: