Thursday, April 07, 2011

Detroit Teenager Seized by the State to Remain in Custody

Court: Girl taken after police standoff must stay with state

Apr 7, 2011 | 1Comments

A 13-year-old girl whose mother is accused of medically neglecting her will remain in the state's custody for now, a Wayne County juvenile court referee ruled Wednesday.

Referee Leslie Graves determined there was probable cause to authorize a petition to remove the child, who was first taken into state custody late last month after her mother was involved in a standoff with police and Child Protective Services workers.

The girl's mother, Maryanne Godboldo of Detroit, is accused of neglecting her by not giving her medication for a mental illness. Godboldo has said she should have the right to decide treatment for her daughter, whom she was weaning off the drug in favor of holistic methods.

"I want my daughter back," Godboldo said Wednesday.

A pretrial hearing is set for April 13.

Mia Wenk, a Child Protective Services worker, testified Wednesday that she filed a petition containing multiple allegations of neglect, along with the order to take the child into protective custody. She said she became involved with the case March 10.

The girl is at a treatment facility in Northville. Graves also ruled that once the girl is discharged -- it's unclear when that will happen -- the state Department of Human Services should find a suitable placement with family.

Godboldo's attorney, Wanda Evans, said she believes CPS made a "rush to judgment" in seeking to take the child into custody.

Godboldo also is facing criminal charges, accused of firing a gun at police officers while they tried to carry out the court order to take custody of her daughter on March 24.

No comments: