Onlookers gather to looks at a huge fire that engulfed the Yarmouk ammunition factory in Khartoum October 24, 2012. The factory was bombed by the Israeli military., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
US denies involvement in Khartoum attack: Sudanese paper
Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:37PM GMT
The US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) says it was not involved in an Israeli attack on a weapons factory in Sudan’s capital city of Khartoum, a Sudanese paper says.
According to a Monday report by a local Sudanese newspaper called al-Intiba, CIA chief David Petraeus called Saleh A-Tayeb, Sudanese deputy intelligence head, shortly after the attack and said his country was not involved in the incident.
On October 24, Sudan's Minister of Information Ahmed Bilal Osman said four Israeli warplanes attacked a weapons production factory in the Sudanese capital city killing at least two people.
Hundreds of Sudanese staged a demonstration in the capital Khartoum on the same day to protest against the airstrike, chanting chanted slogans against the Israeli regime and the United States, such as "Death to Israel" and "Remove Israel from the map."
However, Saleh al-Tayeb said the US could have applied pressure on the Israeli regime despite its denial of direct involvement in the attack.
On October 28, Sudanese Minister of Information Ahmed Bilal Osman said that information collected by experts indicated that the weapons used in the aerial strike on al-Yarmouk facility were made in Israel.
Sudan has asked the United Nations Security Council to condemn Israel for violating the country’s sovereignty and bombing the factory.
Israel has so far refused to comment on the incident. Israeli Minister for Military Affairs Ehud Barak has said, "There is nothing I can say about this subject."