Nigerian soldiers during clashes with Boko Haram members in the northern region of the country. It was reported that 180 people died in the unrest., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
Military captures 25 Boko Haram terrorists
MONDAY, 27 MAY 2013 00:00
FROM MADU ONUORAH, ABUJA NEWS
• Three insurgents, soldier killed
A FRESH crackdown on Boko Haram by the military has led to the capture of 25 members of the terror group in some communities at Nigerian borders with Chad and Cameroun.
The military also said three insurgents, including a high-profile terrorist identified as Abba, were also killed. Abba has been on the list of most wanted persons released by the Federal Government.
One military personnel was also killed in the encounter.
The military also announced the rescue of a man who had been held hostage in the Sambisa forest base of Boko Haram in Borno State. The man was found in handcuffs in the biggest camp in the forest. He is now being treated by medical personnel of the Military Special Task Force.
The Director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said yesterday in an update on the military operation in the North East States of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa that the capture and deaths “happened during an encounter with troops of the special task force as the insurgents were finalising moves to carry out an extensive terrorist operation around Maiduguri.”
Olukolade stated that all the 25 captured Boko Haram insurgents were apprehended with their weapons which included rifles, pistols, double-barreled guns and various calibres of ammunition during an operation of the JTF in Kumshe and Bulunkutu.
The defence spokesman explained that the operation was as a result of the interception of “messages sent to fleeing insurgents urging them not to give up but fight to the end. The attempt by some of them to heed the call was foiled during the weekend as they were trailed to some settlements and towns towards the border where they planned to regroup. Troops of the Multinational Joint Task Force carried out an operation which resulted in the capture and destruction of the insurgents assembly points sited on the outskirts of Kaneram Dan Katsina, Tumbu Dabino and Mallam Fatori area north of Baga. The towns and settlements have now been secured while cordon and search operation is also ongoing in the area after the insurgents have been dislodged.
"Meanwhile, a total of 25 insurgents were rounded up while 3 died, including a high-profile terrorist identified as Abba - who has been on the list of most wanted persons.
"This incident happened during an encounter with troops of the task force as the insurgents were finalising moves to carry out an extensive terrorist operation around Maiduguri. The captured ones were all apprehended with their weapons, which included rifles, pistols, double-barreled guns and various calibres of ammunition during a raid of the JTF on Kumshe and Bulunkutu area. Although they succeeded in killing a security operative of the task force, they were all apprehended before their main planned infiltration with more arms to cause mayhem in the city.
“In Sambisa forest, troops combing the forest continue to make more discoveries. A man who had been held hostage in the forest since last year escaped bound in handcuffs as his captors fled during the troops’ attack on the biggest camp in the forest. The freed hostage is being treated by the task force.
"The troops are dominating the forest as they find a number of fresh grave, more arms and ammunition, burnt vehicles and other equipment. More updates as the operation continues.”