A United States drone crashed in Lower Shabelle, Somalia. Al Shabaab resistance forces said they had shot the weapon down in a military operation on May 28, 2013., a photo by Pan-African News Wire File Photos on Flickr.
SOMALIA: Government spokesman says they were pre-informed U.S drone strike against Al Shabab commander
Posted on January 28, 2014
Mogadishu (RBC) Somalia
Government Spokesman has said that the government was pre-informed in Sunday’s U.S drone attack that killed senior member of the militant group in Somalia, Al Shabab which is linked to Al Qaeda network, RBC Radio reports.
Somalia Government Spokesman Ridwan Haji Abdiweli has told the state-run media that the government had some intelligence information about the U.S drone operation against the senior Al Shabab commander near the town of Barawe.
“It was an operation which the government had been pre-informed and had all the necessary information.” Ridwan has said.
He said the attack killed the commander of the militant group which maintained direct attacks against civilian interests and government places in Mogadishu.
“Such operations will help Somalia to be safe from the terrorists hiding in the country.” Mr Haji Abdiweli added.
In a short statement posted on a twitter account for the Presidential Villa Somalia Palace, Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said that the U.S drone strike against Abdukadir Ahmed Iskudhuuq was another blow against the militant group.
The President said that his government was working with the international partners to eliminate the terrorist groups from Somalia.